Website Bergrivier Local Municipality
Requirements: Code C1 driver’s license · Proficiency in at least two (2) of the official languages of the Western Cape (Afrikaans/English/Xhosa – Read, Write and
Speak) · Conflict handling and negotiation skills · Good management, human relations and communication skills ∙ High level of responsibility ∙ Ability to work under
pressure ∙ Financial management skills ∙ First Aid Certificate · Must be physically fit and able bodied · Have no mental phobias related to claustrophobia (confined
spaces), acrophobia (heights), bathophobia (depts), aquaphobia (water), hermophobia (blood), achluophobia (darkness), authophobia (isolation) and necrophobia
(corpses) · Must perform duties in any area of the municipality · Required to work outside normal working hours during emergencies and planned overtime.
Qualifications: Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Fire Technology
Computer Literacy – MS Office Applications
Experience: Twelve (12) years relevant experience as well as relevant managerial experience
Job Purpose: Manages the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting sequences of outcomes associated with programmes designed to accomplish key
service delivery objectives with respect to Disaster Management and Emergency Services, including Fire and Rescue Services through the coordination of operations
against departmental, statutory and audit guidelines in order to ensure that the risk of damage to property and/or loss of lives is limited through prompt and efficient
execution of sequences and applications.
Key Performance Areas: Identifies, defines and implements the immediate, short and long term managerial objectives and plans for the relevant areas of
responsibility · Initiates plans, develops and drives long term plans for the human resource functionality in respect of the division · Directs and controls outcomes
associated with the utilization, productivity and performance of personnel in the division · Manages and co-ordinates procedures and processes associated with
maintaining employment relations and workplace peace · Manages the formulation of specific contracts and tender documents and controls contractual obligations in
respect of the relevant areas of responsibility · Prepares capital and operating estimates and control expenditure against the approved budget allocations in respect of
the division · Implements procedures, systems and controls to regulate specific work and associated sequences associated with the functionality · Manages, coordinates and controls key dimensions and requirements associated with occupational health and safety · Recommends the compilation of by-laws, procedural
requirements and/or policies pertaining to traffic and protection services · Manages applications associated with identifying the critical disaster management variables
and dimensions relevant to the local area ∙ Manages and co-ordinates specific priorities, procedural applications, interventions and activities related to disaster
management · Co-ordinates and monitors sequences associated with the provision of an emergency/rescue service · Disseminates information on outcomes, current
developments, problems and constraints and/or presents educational material on public safety · Co-ordinates specific administrative and reporting requirements
associated with the key performance areas and result indicators of the functionality · Carry out other instructions as requested by the Director Community Services
with direct context to the specific post in order to ensure effective service delivery is maintained.
The competency level for this position is a level 5 as stipulated in Annexure A of the Municipal Staff Regulations, Government Notice R890, as promulgated in
Government Gazette 45181, dated 20 September 2021 and comprises of the following competencies.
Core Professional Competencies Functional
Public Service Orientation
Competencies Personal Competencies Management / Leadership
Community and customer focus
Negotiation and influencing
Search and Rescue)
Fire safety and
Safety and welfare
Call taking and
Action and outcome
Impact and influence
Coaching and mentoring
Salary: R 442 772.00 per annum (T14 of a Category 3 Local Authority) plus Car allowance
Date of acceptance: 01 September 2022
Enquiries: Mr D Josephus at 022 913 6000
1. A service bonus equivalent to one month’s salary, where applicable, will be payable and be supplemented by the normal benefits applicable to the
Municipality including a housing allowance for home owners subject to certain conditions.
2. The Municipality is an equal opportunity employer and respects the conditions of the Employment Equity Act, preference will be given to candidates who
comply with the Employment Equity Targets.
3. The Municipality is not bound to make any appointment.
4. All appointments are subjected to Police clearings; which means that you give us permission to obtain Police clearance, by applying for a position at the
5. Applications received after the closing date or which have been received without the documentation mentioned below, will not be considered.
6. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews. Applicants can regard their applications as being unsuccessful if no feedback has been received
within six weeks from the closing date.
7. Canvassing of any councillor and/or member of the Appointment Committee and/or any personnel member of the Municipality will not be allowed and will
immediately disqualify applicants.
8. In addition to the minimum job requirements and station mentioned herein, applicants may be expected to work overtime or be on standby, as well as render
services in other parts within the municipal area, as required.
9. Appointment in certain posts is subject to a security clearance and applicants will also undergo an interview and evaluation process and where necessary,
write a trade test.
10. The municipality respects the conditions of the Protection of Personal Information Act. By submitting your information and application you confirm that the
information you have provide to us is true, up to date and correct.
11. Preference will be given to internal and local candidates within the Bergrivier area.
12. Successful candidates will be expected to sign a contract of employment, disclosure of benefits and interests and a performance contract (where applicable)
with the employer.
A covering letter with at least two (2) contactable references (managers, subordinates or peers), must accompany the completed prescribed application form
(available on request at Tel. 022 9136000 or on the municipality’s website www.bergmun.org.za) with certified copies of the necessary qualification certificates, ID
document, Drivers Licence and a Curriculum Vitae (Maximum of 3 pages), (only one post per application form) to reach the Municipal Offices, Piketberg or mailed
to PO Box 60, Piketberg 7320 for the attention of Ms W Terry Thomas (Human Resources Officer: Provisioning and Administration) by no later than the
NO FAXES OR ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY, 12 AUGUST 2022 AT 15:00
To apply for this job please visit www.bergmun.org.za.