Website SRK Consulting South Africa
A vacancy for an Environmental Scientist (EST2 or SEST) has become available in our Cape Town office. Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacancy. The successful candidate will report to SBU Partner.
A qualified individual with experience in consulting and EIA processes is essential. The candidate should be a suitably qualified individual who is able to provide support and leadership in the field of sustainable development, including environmental impact assessment, strategic environmental planning and a wide range of other environmental management fields.
The successful candidate will have 4 – 7 years’ experience and be very familiar with NEMA, NEM:WA, NEM:AQA, WULA and the SEMA processes and associated legislation. The candidate should have experience in undertaking EIAs in South Africa, preferably having managed at least one full EIA from scoping to receipt of Environmental Authorisation. Experience in one or more of Atmospheric Emission Licences (AELs), Integrated Water and Waste Management Plans (IWWMPs) and a specialist sub-discipline (e.g. terrestrial / aquatic ecology or visual) will be an added advantage. The candidate will be expected to manage projects and / or provide support to SRK’s Principal consultants (each with over 15 years’ experience), as well as guidance to more junior consultants (each with 2 – 3 years’ experience).
Experience and Skills:
The candidate must:
- Have a degree in Environmental Management (Honours) or higher / other relevant degree;
- Have a Pr.Sci.Nat or be eligible to register as an EAP;
- Have 4 – 7 years’ experience.
Undertake project coordination duties and manage or provide support to EIA project managers, including:
- Liaison with specialists;
- Preparation of terms of reference for specialists;
- Coordination of specialist inputs to projects;
- Coordination of project schedules;
- Budget tracking;
- Preparation of stakeholder engagement documentation;
- Filing and document control;
- Project management or administrative support to project managers;
- Preparation of proposals, letters and reports, or sections of reports under the direction of a project manager or Principal consultant;
- Business development;
- Client liaison, on occasion under the direction of the project manager or principal consultant;
- Site visits and field work as required on projects and travel within and possibly outside of South Africa, especially in Africa for short, and occasionally extended, periods of time;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and on multiple projects;
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team;
- Work on various project types including EIAs, environmental audits, AELs, IWWMPs, stakeholder engagement and other projects as assigned.
The candidate should have the following competencies:
- Very well-developed knowledge of environmental legislation and policy;
- Competent written and verbal communication skills in English – an additional South African language or French/Portuguese would be an advantage;
- Ability to analyse and integrate environmental and social specialist information and communicate this information simply as well as in technical terms;
- Ability to think holistically and deal with complex and interrelated information;
- Good interpersonal skills.
To apply for this job please visit www.srk.com.